DBA in Rural Business
Explore real-world solutions to rural business problems.
Next Start Date
Est. Program Length
Cost Per Credit
Advance your career as an expert in rural business through an in-depth study of critical issues and strategies for success. The University of West Alabama’s 100% online Doctor of Business Administration in Rural Business is the first program of its kind in the nation, exploring innovative solutions to global rural business challenges. It features flexible coursework and can be completed in as little as three years.
As a student, you will study advanced business topics like entrepreneurial finance, legal issues, qualitative and quantitative research, statistical analysis and more. You will also create an applied dissertation based on rural business needs. Our online DBA degree courses are taught by expert, industry-connected faculty who will guide you in building entrepreneurial skills and gaining transformational leadership knowledge for the next step in your career.
When you complete the online Doctor of Business Administration in Rural Business program, you will be a subject matter expert who can become an independent scholar, a practitioner of rural business, and an agent of change in this dynamic and vital field. Possible career paths include rural business consultant, economic developer, rural business educator and chief executive.
This program also features two 27-credit tracks so you can specialize your studies for your academic interests and professional goals. There are two terms offered each year with the following deadlines: Fall 1 – apply by June 1 and Spring 1 – apply by Oct 1.
The Rural Entrepreneurship and Innovation track is designed for business professionals or educators interested in creating solutions and new ideas for rural entrepreneurs and small business owners to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
The Rural and Transformational Leadership track is designed to develop effective rural leadership that is practical and capable of addressing multifaceted issues in rural areas. This option is ideal for professionals who are considering higher education as a career or part-time employment.
Who is this degree for?
- Individuals with a master’s degree in business or a business-related field with at least 30 semester hours of graduate business credit
- Individuals who have an affiliation with rural businesses or the rural community
- Professionals who work in government or community settings and want to specialize their knowledge of rural business
Next Start Date
Est. Program Length
Cost Per Credit
Submit your information to be contacted by phone/email.
Total Hours: 60-66
Program Completion Requirements
- Completion of Orientation to Doctoral Studies (RB 700)
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework (no grade below B)
- Successful completion of an applied dissertation
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher
- The School of Graduate Studies has established a time limit for graduate degrees. Students are expected to complete and defend the dissertation within seven years of initial enrollment into the online DBA program.
- Completed application for degree and satisfaction of all UWA financial obligations
- Pass a comprehensive exam
- Meet the requirements to be admitted to the School of Graduate Studies at the University of West Alabama
- Hold a master’s degree or above with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Submit two professional recommendations (see below)
Your experience at the University of West Alabama is designed to be as straightforward and convenient as possible. From the moment you apply, you’ll receive step-by-step guidance from an enrollment counselor. And once you’re in your program, you’ll have a personal success coach who can answer your questions and help with anything you need.
Follow these steps to get started.
- Complete an online application, including a nonrefundable application fee.
- Submit official transcripts from regionally accredited institutions and all institutions of higher education (community colleges, bachelor’s programs, post-graduate programs). – Download Form
- Provide professional recommendations from two individuals who can attest to the applicant’s ability to succeed in a doctoral program. This will be completed on the application.
- Completed Statement of Interest
- Submit a resume.
There are two terms offered each year with the following deadlines: Fall 1 – apply by June 1 and Spring 1 – apply by Oct 1. Please reference the Academic Calendar to make sure you meet all necessary deadlines.
Tuition for this program is $630 per credit hour. There is a $60 technology fee each semester and a $50 application fee.
The online DBA degree will accept three to nine transfer credits from another doctoral program. Transfer credit must constitute a fair and reasonable equivalent to current UWA course work in the Doctor of Business Administration in Rural Business program.
Three to six semester hours of approved specified courses from the University of West Alabama’s MBA program in Rural Business may be accepted for course credit in the online DBA curriculum.